Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I Have Died and Gone to Flower Heaven











Day 6 & 7 Goodbye Brugge, Hello Holland!
After a 3 hour drive (which felt like a minute to me because I slept like a baby), we arrived in the Netherlands, checked into our hotel and went straight to the beach. The North Sea was as grey as the sky but the sand was pristine, the day warm, and the sound of the waves calming. No matter the dull sky, we enjoyed a long barefoot walk down the beach as we talked and searched for shells that we thought would delight Abbie. We dined oceanside on warm soup and then walked through this charming beach town. It was calm and quiet as high season is yet to come. We were grateful for the low season and enjoyed the solitude.

Morning brought the day I have anxiously anticipating…Keukenhof, the tulip fields. I was taken back 30 years ago when I was a student with BYU, studying in Salzburg, Austria. I clearly remembered traveling to Holland in May to see Keukenhof. It was one of the highlights of my Europeon experience and today’s trip did not disappoint. Once again, Keukenhof was a highlight for me. Although not as sunny as the day 30 years ago, it was all that I had hoped for. Dave patiently walked the gardens with me and indulged me as I bought tulip bulbs that will arrive at my home in September. What a great souvenir, one that will remind me of this glorious day for years to come! This way, I will be able to share Keukenhof with all of you (assuming I can get Dave and Connor to help with the planting).

4 comments:

  1. Those tulips are incredible! I want some if you have a chance get me some too and I will pay you! looks like you guys are having a blast! I love you and miss you! It's not the same without you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, it does sound like flower heaven. I have never been and must admit that I am a bit jealous. I will help you plant the bulbs! Miss you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures are amazing! It looks so fun! I am so glad you guys are having a great time, but we are excited to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a girl as gifted with flowers as you I can only imagine how your heart must have gone pitter-pat with those gorgeous colors. And, to take a walk on the beach... so far from home with your sweetie pie. Sound like the makings of a perfect day. xox

    ReplyDelete